SBE Chapter 56 Meeting Minutes of June 25, 2019
KOED/OETA Studios – Tulsa, OK
Chapter Chairman Don Dobbs called the meeting to order. Meeting attendees introduced themselves.
- Treasurer’s Report: There is a current balance of $3,856.05. There was a $489.50 deposit from SBE National.
- Secretary’s report: Nothing to report. Minutes of last meeting were approved.
- Frequency Coordination above 1 GHz: Nothing to Report
- Frequency Coordination below 1 GHz: Nothing to report
- EAS Report: Roger Herring not present – National EAS test is August 7th, 2019
- Certification Report: David Shaffer not present – local testing this Friday
- Old Business: No old business to discuss
- New Business: No new business to discuss.
- Adjournment: Meeting was adjourned and Don Dobbs thanked Gates Air for providing lunch for the chapter.
Don Backus with Rohde & Schwarz is based out of Grand Rapids, MI and joined Rohde & Schwarz after previously working with Broadcast Electronics and Enco Systems. He has served two terms on the Michigan Association of Broadcasters board and has been a consultant for several leading broadcast and technology organizations.
His presentation was based on evaluating the initial cost vs. long-term ownership of water cooled FM/HD transmitters. Initial purchase cost should not be the sole deciding factor when choosing a broadcast transmitter. Companies should also evaluate the long term ownership costs such as electrical usage, HVAC, and component failures.